Student Disabilities Services
Services for students with disabilities.
Elgin Community College's Student Disabilities Services Office supports student success and retention through various opportunities and accommodations. The office also advocates for a universally accessible environment in which physical, electronic, and social barriers are reduced, and students with disabilities have an equal opportunity to succeed.
The mission of the Student Disabilities Services Office is to cultivate an inclusive campus and learning environment, facilitate access for students with disabilities, and recognize disability from a diversity perspective.
If you are not sure if your disability falls within any of the above-listed areas, please contact us, and we can discuss potential services for you.
Student Disabilities Services Registration
New to Student Disabilities Services
Students new to Disability Services at ECC should complete the following steps:
- Apply to Elgin Community College (ECC).
- Wait to receive your ECC ID via email after you complete your ECC application.
- If you have a disability in any of these areas, please complete the Student Disabilities Services Registration Form.
- Provide required documentation
- You can upload documentation on your disability to the Student Disabilities Services Registration Form, or you may bring hard copies of the documentation to your intake appointment.
- Call 847-214-7717 to schedule your intake appointment.
If you are already an ECC student and have received services in the past, you need to request services each semester to help coordinate with faculty and staff. Follow these steps each time you are registered for classes, and preferably before the semester begins:
- Complete the Accommodation Request Form.
- Log in using your ECC username and password.
- Select the accommodations you need for your classes.
- Click submit.
Reasonable accommodations are designed to provide equal access to students with disabilities. These are determined on an individual basis; therefore, not all accommodations are appropriate for every student. Accommodations may include, but are not limited to:
- Accessible formats of text and materials*
- Accessible furniture
- Adaptive computer hardware/software
- Assistive technology devices*
- Extended test time/quiet testing area
- Extensions on assignments
- Flexibility in attendance
- Note-takers/recording devices
- Preferential seating
- Sign language interpreters*
- Test readers/scribes
Please contact the Student Disabilities Services Office at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester to give us time to implement.
Student Rights and Responsibilities
Students with disabilities who are registered with Student Disabilities Services have rights. Learn more about your rights and responsibilities
Elgin Community College complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to ensure that no students, employees, visitors, or other beneficiaries of the ADA encounter discrimination on the basis of their disability. All college facilities, services, and programs must be accessible to students, employees, and visitors with disabilities unless doing so would be an undue burden to the college. Reasonable accommodations can be provided to qualified students with disabilities for successful entrance into and completion of courses, but students should note that the college is not required to, nor should it, compromise on program admissions or essential course requirements. Qualified students with disabilities must contact the Student Disabilities Services office to request reasonable accommodations.