Student Access and Disability Services
Services for students with disabilities.
Elgin Community College's Student Access and Disabilities Services Office supports student success and retention through various opportunities and accommodations. The office also advocates for a universally accessible environment in which physical, electronic, and social barriers are reduced, and students with disabilities have an equal opportunity to succeed.
We aim to cultivate an inclusive campus and learning environment, facilitate access for students with disabilities, and recognize disability from many diverse perspectives.
If you are not sure if your disability falls within any of the above-listed areas, please contact us, and we can discuss potential services for you.
Student Disabilities Services Registration
New to Student Disabilities Services
If you have never met with a specialist within our office and need to schedule an intake appointment to discuss accommodations, please follow these steps as soon as possible:
- Apply to Elgin Community College (ECC).
- Wait to receive your ECC ID via email after you complete your ECC application.
- If you have a disability in any of these areas, please complete the Student Access and Disabilities Services Registration Form.
- Provide required documentation
- We encourage you to upload documentation on your disability to the Student Access and Disabilities Services Registration Form, or you may bring hard copies of the documentation to your intake appointment.
- After you've submitted the form, the Administrative Assistant will email your ECC student email account to schedule an intake appointment via phone, Google Meet, or on campus. Questions? Call 847-214-7717.
If you are already an ECC student and have received services in the past, you need to request services each semester to help coordinate with faculty and staff. If you have not yet requested accommodation letters through our new online system for your Fall 2021 classes, please follow these steps as soon as possible (and preferably before the semester begins):
- Complete the Accommodation Request Form.
- Log in using your ECC username and password.
- Select the accommodations you need for your classes.
- Click submit.
Reasonable accommodations are designed to provide equal access to students with disabilities. These are determined on an individual basis; therefore, not all accommodations are appropriate for every student. Accommodations may include, but are not limited to:
- Accessible formats of text and materials*
- Accessible furniture
- Adaptive computer hardware/software
- Assistive technology devices*
- Extended test time/quiet testing area
- Extensions on assignments
- Flexibility in attendance
- Note-takers/recording devices
- Preferential seating
- Sign language interpreters*
- Test readers/scribes
Please contact the Student Access and Disabilities Services Office at least 6 weeks before the start of the semester to give us time to implement.
Student Rights and Responsibilities
Students who are registered with the Student Access and Disabilities Services Office have rights.Learn about your rights
ADA/Section 504 Compliance
Elgin Community College complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to ensure that no students, employees, visitors, or other beneficiaries of the ADA encounter discrimination on the basis of their disability. All college facilities, services, and programs must be accessible to students, employees, and visitors with disabilities unless doing so would be an undue burden to the college. ECC can provide reasonable accommodations to qualified students with disabilities for successful entrance into and completion of courses, but students should note that the college is not required to, nor should it, compromise on program admissions or essential course requirements. Qualified students with disabilities must contact the Student Access and Disabilities Services Office to request reasonable accommodations.