PSB Admission Testing Instructions
Information regarding in-testing services.
Testing Services is offering remote testing for Reading, Writing, Math, and Geometry placement. Use the remote testing form on the placement tests page to select the test or tests you would like to take. Plus, we are offering limited, appointment-only testing for the following areas:
- Certiport - MOS Certification
- ASE Certification
- Reading, Writing, Math, and Language placement for those that do not have access to supported devices
Dates, times, registration, and payment (if required), can be viewed and completed here on the online Exam Registration page.
All students applying to a Health Professions program at Elgin Community College are required to take the PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Examination (PSB-HOA). This exam assesses the basic academic knowledge needed to be successful in the healthcare field. We suggest completing all program prerequisite courses before taking the PSB-HOA exam.
Exam Fees and Registration
Testing space is limited, and it is highly recommended that you reserve your test date at least two weeks before your desired program’s application deadline. Students must register at least one day prior to the testing date.
- Consult the test dates and choose your preferred day and time.
- You must have an ECC student ID number and a valid email address. To obtain an ECC ID, visit the admissions office (Building B, Room B110, or call 847-214-7385).
- The PSB-HOA exam fee is $20. You must pay for the PSB-HOA test in person at Student Accounts (Building B, Room B151, 847-214-7380).
- Next, bring the receipt to Registration (Building B, Room B105, 847-214-7393) to register for the PSB Test.
- There are no refunds if you cancel your registration for the PSB-HOA or fail to arrive for the exam.
Note: Only students on the roster for the scheduled test date will take the exam.
You can attempt this exam two times within a one-year period. Therefore, it is important to prepare carefully.
- The Psychological Services Bureau (PSB) offers sample questions and test-taking tips in its test resources section.
- You may purchase PSB Health Occupations Exam Practice Questions (ISBN 978-1-62733-217-0)in the ECC bookstore, or purchase Pass The PSB/HOAE: Complete Health Occupation Aptitude Test Study Guide and Practice Test Questions, from Amazon.com. PSB resources are also available in the ECC library.
- Information about PSB-HOA Exam Prep Workshops for Math, Natural Science, and Reading/Spelling can be found at PSB HOA prep workshops.
The PSB-HOA exam consists of 5 parts:
- Academic aptitude: 40 minutes for 75 questions. Verbal (25), arithmetic (25), and nonverbal (25) sections.
- Spelling (15 minutes for 45 questions).
- Reading comprehension (35 minutes for 35 questions).
- Natural sciences (25 minutes for 60 questions).
- Vocational aptitude (15 minutes for 90 questions).
On Your Exam Day
In the event of an emergency, please call 847-214-7150.
If you do not call ahead and do not show up on your scheduled test date, your registration fee will not be refunded.
- The sign-in process for the PSB-HOA exam starts approximately 30 minutes before the stated start time.
- You must bring a valid photo ID and your receipt of payment.
- No learning aids or assistance may be used during the exam.
- This is a 2.5-hour exam; breaks may be taken between test sections if needed.
- Please do not bring any children.
Your PSB Exam Results
You will receive your results shortly after completing the exam. The appropriate Health Professions program director will receive a copy of your results, as well.
- If you would like to improve your scores on one or more sections of the PSB-HOA exam, you may retake the exam.
- The fee for each additional PSB attempt is $20 regardless of whether re-taking the entire exam or just one section.
- We suggest that you DO NOT retest right away; we recommend that you take 30 days to prepare in between attempts fully.
- PSB-HOA scores are valid for a period of one year. You are eligible to retake the exam one year from the original test date. (For example, if you take the PSB exam on January 3 (1st attempt) and then retake a portion on February 3 (2nd attempt), you will not be allowed another attempt until January 3 the following year.)
- Health Professions admission decisions are based on scores from the two most recent PSB attempts. (For example, if you took the PSB exam on March 10, 2018 (1st attempt), May 27, 2018 (2nd attempt), and March 12, 2019 (3rd attempt), the scores from your 2nd and 3rd attempts would be used in the admission decision.)
- Note: Students may elect to use PSB scores that are more than one year old when making an application to a Health Professions program. (For example, if you took the PSB exam on June 5, 2017 (1st attempt) and again on September 25, 2019 (2nd attempt), you may use those scores when applying to a health professions program in 2020.)
How Exam Results Are Used
To be considered for admission to Clinical Lab Technology, Histotechnology, Massage Therapy, Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiography, or Surgical Technology, you must score in the 25 percentile or better in each section of the PSB-HOA exam. Admission to these Health Professions programs is competitive. If you decide to apply to a different program, your scores must be re-normed for the new program. Contact the Testing Center at 847-214-7150 or at email@example.com.
To be considered for admission to Basic Nurse Assistant, Dental Assisting, Phlebotomy, or Sterile Processing or Sterile Processing and Distribution, students must score in the 12 percentile or better in each section of the PSB-HOA exam. Admission to these Health Professions programs is first-come, first-served.
For general questions about a Health Professions program, please contact the Health Professions Office at 847-214-7350.
Dates, time, and rooms are subject to change.
|January 7||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-102||Building B, Room B115|
|January 10||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-103||Building B, Room B115|
|January 14||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-104||Building B, Room B115|
|January 24||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-105||Building B, Room B115|
|February 4||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-106||Building B, Room B115|
|February 11||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-107||Building B, Room B115|
|March 3||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-108||Building B, Room B115|
|March 10||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-109||Building B, Room B115|
|April 7||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-110||Building B, Room B115|
|April 14||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-111||Building B, Room B115|
|April 21||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-112||Building B, Room B115|
|April 28||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-113||Building B, Room B115|
|May 19||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-114||Building B, Room B115|
|May 28||Thursday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-115||Building B, Room B115|
|June 2||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-201||Building B, Room B115|
|June 11||Thursday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-202||Building B, Room B115|
|June 16||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-203||Building B, Room B115|
|June 23||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-204||Building B, Room B115|
|July 9||Thursday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-205||Building B, Room B115|
|July 14||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-206||Building B, Room B115|
|July 23||Thursday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-207||Building B, Room B115|
|July 28||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-208||Building B, Room B115|
|August 4||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-209||Building B, Room B115|
|August 6||Thursday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-210||Building B, Room B115|
|August 11||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-211||Building B, Room B115|
|August 13||Thursday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-212||Building B, Room B115|
|August 18||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-301||Building B, Room B115|
|August 25||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-302||Building B, Room B115|
|October 6||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-303||Building B, Room B115|
|October 20||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-304||Building B, Room B115|
|November 3||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-305||Building B, Room B115|
|November 13||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-306||Building B, Room B115|
|November 17||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-307||Building B, Room B115|
|November 20||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-308||Building B, Room B115|
|December 11||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-309||Building B, Room B115|
|December 15||Tuesday||5 p.m.||CPC 580-310||Building B, Room B115|
|December 18||Friday||11 a.m.||CPC 580-311||Building B, Room B115|