Information regarding in-testing services.
Testing Services is offering remote testing for Reading, Writing, Math, and Geometry placement. Use the remote testing form on the placement tests page to select the test or tests you would like to take.
Limited On-Campus Testing
Plus, we are offering limited, appointment-only testing on-campus for the following areas:
- Certiport - MOS Certification
- ASE Certification
- Spanish Proficiency
- Reading, Writing, Math and Language placement for those that are unable to complete remote testing.
On-Campus testing dates, times, registration, and payment (if required), can be viewed and completed here on the online Exam Registration page.
Taking placement tests helps you enroll in the right courses at Elgin Community College. Each test is designed to measure your academic skill levels. This will help make sure you sign up for classes at the right academic level.
ECC is currently offering Writing, Reading, and Math placement tests remotely.
Research shows students who brush-up on their skills before taking a placement test do far better than those who do not prepare. If you’re taking placement tests, we strongly encourage you to prepare by taking practice tests or sign up for our workshops. Taking a preparation workshop can save time and money.
Placement Test Types
The testing center offers the following placement tests:
Remote testing is now available for Reading, Writing, Math, and Geometry placement.
Get more information about the math placement test.
ECC has modified its placement scores and has adopted additional ways for you to demonstrate you are college-ready in reading, mathematics, and writing. Review testing scores summary to determine if you need to take placement testing.
The Testing Center is currently offering placement testing remotely. If you are unable to complete testing remotely, we are offering limited, appointment only testing. Testing can be scheduled using the online form. Schedule your testing appointment
Here’s what to bring on test day:
- A positive attitude
- A photo ID
- Your ECC ID number
- No calculator allowed
Reading and math scores will be given to you after you take the placement test and are available online within 24-48 hours after you complete your test. Writing Placement test results may take up to 7 business days. All scores will be posted on the accessECC portal.
- Need help logging into accessECC portal? Get instructions
To interpret your scores, review testing scores summary.
If you’re not happy with your first attempt, you may retake the placement tests, provided you have not started a math, English, or reading course. You are encouraged to take our math assessment at least twice and spend time in the learning modules to help you brush-up on your skills. If you’re still not satisfied, you may appeal your placement. Review placement test appeal procedure for more information.
- Students do not need to complete all three placement tests on the same day. Each placement test may take longer than 2 hours. It is best to be rested before attempting another placement test to achieve the best score.
- All math placement including SAT, ACT, PARC, GED tests expire in two years. All Writing and Reading placement tests including ACT, SAT, PARC, GED expire in 5 years.
- Students may take the Reading and Writing placement test twice, provided they have not enrolled in a the sequence of reading or English courses. Once enrolled in the reading or English courses, a student may not take the Writing or Reading placement test a second time unless they file an appeal.
- The ALEKS math placement test is designed to be taken 5 times within a year. Once a student enrolls in a math course, the student may not take the math placement test again unless they file an appeal.