Electrical Engineering Majors
Associate in Science Pathway for Electrical Engineering
This is a typical course schedule for a student planning to complete the AES degree within two years, then transfer and major in Electrical Engineering. See your ECC Academic Advisor to obtain specific requirements as course requirements vary by transfer institution.
Courses marked with * have additional prerequisites.
Fall Semester 1 - (16 Semester Hours)
- ENG 101, English Composition I (3)
- *MTH 190, Calculus I (5)
- PHY 211, Engineering Physics I (5)
- Fine Arts or Humanities, Gen Ed (3)
Spring Semester 2 - (17 Semester Hours)
- ENG 102, English Composition II (3)
- MTH 210, Calculus II (5)
- PHY 212, Engineering Physics II (5)
- 1CIS 123, Computer Science for Engineers (4)
Fall Semester 3 - (16+ Semester Hours)
- MTH 230, Calculus III (5)
- EGR 152, Statics (3)
- CHM 142, General Chemistry I (5)
- Pre-Engineering Specialty Course (3-5)
Spring Semester 4 - (13 Semester Hours)
- EGR 252, Dynamics (3)
- MTH 250, Differential Equations (4)
- ECN 201, (recommended dependent on transfer school) (3)
- CIS 127, Discrete Structures (recommended dependent on transfer school) (3)
1Schools may require CIS 123, MTH 123 or CIS 121, plan the required course with your academic advisor.
Communications, Fine Arts, Social Science, and Behavioral Science are ideal courses to enroll in during the Summer semester to lighten credit course load during Spring and Fall semesters.
- ECC and many transfer institutions require a Diversity and/or a Multicultural course as a graduation requirement. Courses that fulfill this requirement at ECC include options in Humanities, Fine Arts, Behavioral Science and Social Science. See your academic advisor or view Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or Associate in Engineering Science details in the ECC catalog to view options.
- The Associate in Science & Associate in Engineering Science degrees do not include the entire IAI General Education Common Core (GECC) package. The AS & AES degrees allow for more math & science courses to be completed prior to transferring and better align with transfer institution 4-year plans.
- It is strongly encouraged to complete foreign language requirements prior to transferring.
- This plan is a sample pathway, the only way to secure an accurate education plan to the school of your preference is to meet with an academic advisor in B120.
Successful Pathway Steps
Majoring in Electrical Engineering?
What specific majors are related to Electrical Engineering?
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Engineering Technology
- Engineering Mechanics
- Engineering Physics
- Industrial Engineering
- Material Science
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Radiological Engineering
- Systems Engineering & Design
What careers are similar to Electrical Engineering?
Transfer for certain schools including NIU would likely pursue the Associate in Science at ECC, though the Associate in Arts may align better for specific transfer schools. Plan to discuss with your academic advisor.
Students interested in Elementary Education and related careers requiring an AAS degree or VS/BVS certificate at ECC can pursue:
- Computer Aided Design- AAS/BVS
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing AAS/BVS
- Energy Management AAS/BVS/VS
- HVACR AAS/BVS/VS
- Welding AAS/BVS/VS