Spartan Alert is ECC’s early alert system that is designed to promote retention and student success. Students who are experiencing difficulty early in the semester can benefit from this early intervention.
Students who are experiencing challenges, whether academic or personal (or somewhere in between), and who are unsure of where to go or who to speak with, can also contact John Long directly.
What is Spartan Alert?
The Spartan Alert program is a team effort by faculty, administrators, and support staff to increase student retention, success, and completion rates. The early alert system is most effective when a referral is submitted within the first three to four weeks of the semester.
- Identifying underlying issues that prevent student success.
- Connecting students to resources that promote self-awareness, accountability, and academic achievement.
- Additional support and resources beyond the classroom environment
- Feedback on recommended interventions for your students
- Poor attendance/tardiness
- Lack of participation/motivation
- Lack of focus/attention in class
- Late/missing/poor quality assignments
- Inadequate note-taking skills
- Low quiz/exam scores
- Lack of essential (basic) skills and aptitude
- Inappropriate classroom etiquette
- Inappropriate use of electronic devices in class
- Personal issues
- Sudden drop in attendance/grades
- Other reasons as determined by instructor
If students actively participate in this process, they could realize the following benefits:
- Increased success
- A positive self-image
- Progress toward academic and career goals
- Exposure to and development of academic and personal tools for success
- After you have discussed the situation with the student and there is little/no improvement.
- Within the first 3-4 weeks of the course so there is sufficient time for intervention and improvement.
- When additional resources are needed.
Faculty members can submit a referral by following the steps below:
- Log into the accessECC Portal
- Go to the 'Self Services' menu on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Select Faculty menu then choose 'Class Roster'.
- Select the name of student you would like to refer.
- Select the link to 'Early Referral' at the bottom of the page.
- Follow the additional prompts to document the specific reasons for referral and your concerns.
- The student will be required to meet with a primary case manager to identify the underlying cause of the problem.
- Students will receive information explaining what steps they must take.
- If necessary, the student will be referred to appropriate specialists and resources.
- Students will be closely monitored and required to utilize recommended resources and referrals.
- There will be consequences if the student does not follow through.
- Faculty members will be apprised of the plan/outcome.
Contact the Director of Student Success & Judicial Affairs, at 847-214-7220 or email@example.com.