Community College District 509 is one of 39 community college districts in the Illinois Community College System.
Communities We Serve
District 509 covers approximately 360 square miles and incorporates the following rural and urban municipalities.
|District 509 Municipalities|
|Burlington||Lake in the Hills*||Wasco|
|Campton Hills*||Lily Lake||Wayne|
|Carpentersville*||Pingree Grove||West Dundee|
|East Dundee||Plato Center|
|Portions of these communities are not in District 509.|
|Some people with addresses in Barrington Hills, Carol Stream, Cary, Elburn, Fox River Grove, Hoffman Estates, Huntley, LaFox, Maple Park, Schaumburg, Sycamore, Virgil and West Chicago are also district residents.|
Anyone who is a resident of public school districts U-46, 300, 301 or 303 is a resident of District 509.
|District 509 Public Schools|
|Bartlett High School||Larkin High School, Elgin|
|Central High School, Burlington||South Elgin High School|
|Dundee-Crown High School, Carpentersville||St. Charles East High School|
|Elgin High School||St. Charles North High School|
|Hampshire High School||Streamwood High School|
|Jacobs High School, Algonquin|
|District 509 Private Schools|
|Elgin Academy, Elgin||St. Edward High School, Elgin|
|Fox Valley Lutheran Academy, Elgin||Westminster Christian, Elgin|
- The following provisions apply to both state and district residency definitions:
- A student shall have occupied a dwelling within the district for at least 30 days immediately prior to the date established by the district for classes to begin. View District 509 map
- Students occupying a dwelling in the district who fail to meet the 30-day residency requirement may not become residents simply by attending classes at a community college for 30 days or more.
- Students who move from outside the district and who obtain residency in the district for reasons other than attending the community college shall be exempt from the 30-day requirement if they demonstrate (through documentation) a verifiable interest in establishing permanent residency.
- Individuals who reside outside of District 509 will be considered in-district students for courses offered by ECC if they are employed for at least 35 hours per week in the district.
- Download the in-district employer verification form
- Students who are military personnel who are stationed and present in the district in connection with their military service.
- Students who are enrolled through a joint agreement program with ECC and another college.
Any person whose permanent residence lies outside the boundaries of District 509 but within the state of Illinois. View tuition rates
Out-of-State & International Resident
Any person whose residence lies outside the boundaries of the state of Illinois including all international students enrolling under an F-1 student visa. For more detail please refer to College Catalog.
Verification of In-District Residency
The residency must be established at least 30 days prior to the start of the semester. Acceptable documentation of residency may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and includes:
- A driver's license or state-issued identification card or U.S. or international government-issued identification card, with an in-district address dated at least 30 days prior to the start of the term or;
- Provide at least two of the following: signed lease, utility bill or tax bill in the student’s name, or voter’s registration card or;
- Students who qualify as an in-district resident by working 35 hours or more a week must provide documentation of hours worked per week on employer letterhead, in the form of a recent pay stub, or on forms available in the Registration Department or;
- Students utilizing benefits under the federal Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or any subsequent variation of that Act (per Public Act 098-0306) must provide DD214 form or an eligibility letter.
- Students who qualify under a must provide the required documentation per that agreement.