Death of a Student 4.406
In the event of the death of a currently enrolled Elgin Community College student, the Dean of Students should be notified and is responsible for ensuring that the following steps are taken:
- The Dean of Students will notify the Vice President for Teaching, Learning, and Student Development, President’s Office, and Marketing and Communications Department of the student’s death with as many details as possible, including circumstances, family contact, and source of information.
- Out of respect for the student’s family, ECC will work promptly to eliminate college correspondences addressed to the deceased student. The Dean of Students will notify the following departments of the student’s death, not only because the student may have been affiliated with the department, but also to request that the student’s name be removed from outgoing college correspondence: all academic deans, the TRiO program, Disability Services, Library, Academic Advising and Career Development Services, Student Life, Human Resources, Campus Police, Art Center Box Office, ECC Foundation, Marketing, and the Wellness Professionals. After a refund is applied (as described in section three of this procedure), the student’s file in the student information system will be closed and coded to prevent future mailings and email communication.
- The Dean of Students will contact Records and Registration, Financial Aid, and Student Accounts requesting research on the student’s account to determine if a refund is required. A 100% refund of tuition and fees paid for the current semester will be issued. If the student has a balance in a current or previous term, the balance will be removed. The Financial Aid Office will determine if the student borrowed a student loan while enrolled at the College. If applicable, contact information for a loan discharge will be provided to the Dean of Students to provide to the family.
- If classes are in session, due to the sensitive nature of the circumstances, the Dean of Students will contact all of the deceased student’s current faculty via phone to discuss arranging for a wellness professional to visit the deceased student’s class(es) in person or virtually. If the faculty so desires, the wellness professional will visit the class to inform students of the death of their fellow student and to provide information regarding resources available to students.
- On behalf of the institution, the Dean of Students will contact the parent(s)/spouse/guardian(s) of the deceased student via phone, if sufficient information is available, to express the condolences of the college.
- Student Life will arrange for flowers or other appropriate memorial to be sent to the funeral/memorial service, or the home of the deceased student if the services have passed and if sufficient information is available.
- The Dean of Students or other designated college official will represent the college at the funeral or memorial service, if at all possible.
- If the college is contacted about the death of a former student, section two of this administrative procedure will be followed if the student’s file has not already been closed.