Appeal for Complaint Procedure
Administrative Procedure 4.408
Elgin Community College offers an appeal process for various types of college decisions including but not limited to final grades, judicial decisions, or other special circumstances that a student feels should be reconsidered. The purpose of an appeal is usually to allow the student to explain extenuating circumstances or to provide additional information that may not have been available at the time that the decision was made.
Following an informal disposition of a complaint or adjudication of a complaint (Administrative Procedure 4.401 Complaint Procedure), a dissatisfied student may appeal the decision of the Academic Dean or Student Disciplinary Committee and Dean of Student Services and Development by following the appropriate process:
The student has the right to appeal the decision to the appropriate Vice President. The student must submit the appeal in writing within ten (10) school days of receiving hearing outcome. The written appeal is to be submitted to the Dean of Student Services and Development who will forward it to the appropriate Vice President. The responsible Vice President will inform the student of their decision in writing within ten (10) school days of receiving the appeal. This decision is final.
Other Types of Appeals
Students may contact the Dean of Student Services and Development or Director of Student Success and Judicial Affairs for assistance in locating the specific appeal procedure. The following special types of appeals must follow the appropriate procedures outlined in Elgin Community College catalog, curriculum handbooks, or administrative procedures:
- Program Admission to Health Professions programs with selective admission processes
- Financial Aid Suspension and/or Maximum Time Frame (Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid)
- Refunds for Credit and Non-Credit Courses (Administrative Procedure 2.102) www.elgin.edu/paymentpolicies
- Placement Test Appeals (Administrative Procedure 4.404)
- Academic Integrity (Administrative Procedure 4.407)
- Standards of Academic Progress (Administrative Procedure 1.102)
- Appeal of Final Grade (Administrative Procedure 4.403)