Academic Renewal (Fresh Start) 4.105


Re-entering students who have not attempted a class at Elgin Community College (ECC) for a period of at least ten years may petition to have all prior grades (passing grades must be included as well) removed from the calculation of their Grade Point Average (GPA) (“Academic Renewal”). Students who choose to request Academic Renewal will have a fresh start on their ECC GPA calculation, however, all grades earned before the Academic Renewal will remain on the student’s transcript. Prior ECC credit earned will not be applied toward degree completion.

To begin the Academic Renewal process, students should meet with an academic advisor to obtain a request form and complete an Academic Renewal success plan. The request form and success plan are then sent to the Director of Student Success and Judicial Affairs in the Dean of Students’ Office for approval and processing.

Students seeking financial aid should also contact the Director of Financial Aid.